Automation without notes

Hi everyone, i’m new. :blush:
How can i record an automation without the notes? I use Logic Pro X.

I set the movement of the AAA on the cutoff of an ES2 filter (logic synth). I want to record just the automation of this filter without also recording the notes I make with my mouth. then write a live automation of “AAA” only

Is it possible?

Thank you so much

Hi Cody, I’m just going to do some testing and try find this out! I know this is possible on Ableton by just disarming the track but this doesn’t quite seem to work on Logic, I’ll have a play around and get back to you

If there are any other logic pros on the forum please do jump in!

Thank you so much :blush: I’ll waiting the answer

Hi Cody,

I had a play around and believe I’ve got it sorted!

The first thing you’ll need to do is change the recording preferences in logic to make sure that ‘Auto Demix by Channel if multitrack Recording’ is set to off

You can find this by going to Preferences -> Recording and select Recording Project Settings

Then make sure the box is not ticked

Once this is done, MIDI map the parameter you want to control to a dial in Dubler the usual way. You can now show the automation lanes by selecting the automation button at the top

Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 14.55.12

On the track you want to write the automation on, make sure it is not armed. So make sure the R is not red at all. Also you can select the automation mode you want to use to record, so I’ve selected Touch here. (You can read what the different automation modes mean here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcpb1a6c15d/mac)

Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 14.55.40

Once this is done, you don’t need to hit record in logic. You can simply play back the track and then use your vowels to input the automation data. You can then see the automation you input in the track and adjust as you like

Important to note if you hit record it will automatically arm the track you have selected and so will record notes. I’m no logic wizard, so this is just one way I found to do it. But let me know if that works for you!

You are number ONE! Thank you so much :smiley: It work perfectly. Thank you so much for spending your time for this problem.