Can Dubler do legato?

Looking at purchasing Dubler 2 with the native mic to use with my Orchestra VSTs. I wondered how Dubler works with VST Instruments like a string section, cello or vocal where I may want to use legato when singing a melody? Can Dubler understand a slide or legato between two notes or will it break up the notes as they change?
Thanks!

Hi Flo,

This can depend slightly depending on the particular VST you are using, and also settings within Dubler. Certain VSTs will have a legato option allowing you to glide between notes that start after each other, this means it will always create a slight sliding effect when you pitch up or down through a few different notes. However this isn’t always the case and some VSTs will break up the notes and give a new note onset each time

Legato is often created with orchestral VSTs by holding one note whilst you start another, which isn’t possible with the voice so it’s something to bear in mind with Dubler. That being said we also have a pitch bend feature, meaning you can bend the pitch up and down from your starting point to create glide effects. Again how good this actually sounds depends on the plugin.

If you search ‘Orchestral Dubler’ in YouTube you should see a number of videos with Dubler being used with string plugins, so there might be some examples in there. If you have any questions though let me know!

Hi again! I watched your video LIVE STREAM Orchestral Composition With Your Voice. OK…wow. When the three channels played together it was a very convincing sound of a piano cello duet! I have two questions…In this example is Dubler playing outside of Abelton? I am not really clear if it opens as a plugin inside of Abelton or plays outside of the DAW as a standalone and sends MIDI into the DAW. My second question is more of an observation…the cello samples are incredible! I started playing VSTs when arthritis would no longer allow me to play my violin and this cello is the best I have heard so far. I wish it wasn’t $299 :frowning: Great video! Your demo of splitting the MIDI channels into notes and chords and then recording multiple channels at the same time is a game changer! Now I just have to find some extra $$$ lying around :slight_smile:

Hi Flo, In that live stream Dubler is open as a standalone application and sending MIDI information to Ableton where I’m controlling a couple different VSTs. So Dubler is not open within Ableton, it sits outside like a physical MIDI keyboard for example

The sounds that I’m controlling are two different VSTs from other companies. The piano one is Kontakt’s Una Corda - Keys : Una Corda | Komplete
And the strings are Sample Modelling - Cello solo - Samplemodeling - Solo & Ensemble Strings

So the way you routinely operate Dubler is as a standalone external device like a MIDI keyboard and select it as a MIDI IN source in the DAW? It never operates inside the DAW? So Interesting!

Yes exactly! The Dubler app sits outside the DAW, and sends MIDI to your DAW just the same as a keyboard. You can select it as a MIDI input in any track you like. Dubler does have a MIDI capture plugin that sits inside the DAW, however all this does is record your melodies and applies a cleaning algorithm meaning it tidies up the MIDI notes to remove any accidental notes. You can find more about this here -

Hi Liam,
One other question. I am using a MacBook and I am not 100% clear about this. If I purchase Dubler2 Studio Kit with the included USB mic, there is nothing else needed if you are using a MAC, unlike Windows which needs the additional ASIO drivers?
Thanks!

Hi Flo,

If you’re on Mac and have the Dubler mic you should have everything you need to get going. Mac’s in built drivers will be able to give you low latency and so you can get going straight away. Let me know if you have any other Qs!